Shipping a POV overseas

Depending on your location, there are several vehicle Processing Centers where service members and civilians can turn in a POV for shipment overseas. The installation you’re leaving can advise you as to the closest locations. You can also visit Where is my POV Before bringing your vehicle for processing, be sure to contact the shipping office for particulars. The standards for shipping are very strict and failire to comply can result in non-reimbursable extra charges and delays in route.


Preparing the Vehicle

Before going to the Vehicle Processing Center, remove all unnecessary items. You cannot ship personal items in the vehicle, so remove everything except essential emergency equipment and items you plan to take with you when you drop off the car.


The following items can be left in your vehicle:

- Hand tools, not to exceed $200 in value

- Emergency equipment such as jacks, tire irons, fire extinguishers, and jumper cables

- One spare tire & two snow tires

- Portable cribs, children's car seats, strollers

- Factory-installed and/or professionally installed after-market audio/video/navigation equipment inside the vehicle or trunk, including amplifiers, speakers, subwoofers, CD changers, DVD players, and navigations systems. These items must be permanently installed or bolted to the vehicle.


You must remove:

- loose audio/video/navigation equipment

- Accessories not permanently installed

- Flammable, combustible, or hazardous substances, oils, paints, waxes

- Any liquids or pressurized cans (propane tanks must be purged and certified by an authorized dealer)

- Citizen Band radios


Vehicle preparation

Before going to the vehicle drop-off location, thoroughly clean both the interior and exterior of the vehicle. This includes all interior spaces, compartments, trunk and all exterior and undercarriage areas. If your POV does not meet the standards of cleanliness, it will not be accepted. Dry-vacuum all spaces, especially in-between and underneath seats.

Your vehicle’s interior must be dry upon drop-off. If you get your vehicle detailed before going to the VPC, be sure upholstery is not cleaned with any product that will leave it damp.

Vehicles must be shipped with less than 1/4 tank of fuel (gasoline or diesel). If you must have fuel siphoned from the vehicle, it is non-reimbursable.

You vehicle must be in safe operating condition, with functioning service and parking brakes, no noticeable fluid leaks, and/or any major cracks in the windshield.


Documents and items to bring

To ship your vehicle, bring:

- A complete set of keys (ignition, doors, trunk, gas cap & wheel locks)

- 7 copies of your orders, plus any amendments

- Identification:

- The service member or DoD civilian must bring their Military ID

- A spouse must bring military or government ID

- An agent dropping off on your behalf must bring an official govt or state ID and a copy of the service members military ID

- Someone other than service member dropping off vehicle - If the vehicle is being turned into the vehicle processing center by someone other than the Service Member (e.g. Member's spouse, relative, friend, etc.), the Agent must present a valid Power of Attorney that authorizes him/her to act on behalf of the Service Member. The POA must include the names of the Service Member and the appointed Agent, as well as the vehicle VIN.

- Appointed Agents should bring a photocopy (front and back) of the Service Member's Military ID for U.S. Customs or Host Nation Customs review/clearance purposes. If the Member's spouse is listed on the official Orders as a dependant then they need only bring their own official and valid Military or Government Dependant ID as long as all the requirements listed in item 3 (above) are met. Agents should also have the vehicle specifications (make, model, year, color, VIN, and exact mileage).

- Proof of Ownership, Registration and/or Title - It is strongly recommended that you always provide the Contractor with a legible copy of your Title for U.S. Customs or Host Nation Customs review/clearance purposes. These documents must be in the Service Member's name as listed on their Orders. Also please note: If the vehicle is registered in a name other than Service Member, such as spouse's maiden name, you must provide a copy of your Marriage Certificate.

- Lien Holder Shipment Authorization Letter – If there is a lien on your vehicle, your must bring a letter from your Lien Holder certifying that you have permission to take your vehicle out of the country. If possible, the letter should be on official company letterhead.

- Contact information - Provide a valid email address, destination address, notification address and emergency contact information to the Vehicle Processig Center. The VPC will be able to contact you when your vehicle has arrived at its destination and is ready for pick-up. You can also track the location of your vehicle at Where is my POV

- Documentation for "Hard Lift" location- A "Hard Lift" location is a location where there is no VPC or contractor presence. If you turn in a vehicle to a "Hard Lift" location, you must provide the contractor with a legible copy your vehicle title. A list of Contract VPCs can be found in the SDDC "Shipping Your POV" pamphlet available from the SDDC website or your TMO. Please contact the turn-in VPC or American Auto Logistics if you are unsure.


Vehicle Processing

A shipping specialist will complete the necessary documentation with you, and answer any questions you may have. Before accepting your vehicle, a representative will annotate any pre-existing damage to your vehicle. You will be able to review the lists of pre-existing damage to ensure you agree with the assessment. You will not be allowed to ship your vehicle if do not bring the required documents or your POV does not meet shipping standards.

Depending on the number of people preparing to ship their vehicles, the entire process can take a few hours, or it can be a lengthy process. Avoid scheduling a flight the same day you plan to drop-off your vehicle.


POV pick-up in Italy

When your car has arrived overseas, the local vehicle processing office will contact you. You must have vehicle insurance and register your vehicle before it will be released to you. There are multiple insurance carriers available for service members and civilians overseas, including two offices within walking distance of the installation.

The registration office is located at a satellite location a few minutes drive from Caserma Ederle. A shuttle bus is available to bring you to and from the satellite office.


Back to Newcomers


Back to Homepage