Caserma Ederle offers several services to both retiring and retired military personnel, such as guidance in understanding benefits, assistance preparing for retirement and helping personnel and retirees to access services. We also offer Retiree Appreciation Day annually, generally in October. Please see below for more information on what services we offer. For phone numbers of other offices at Caserma Ederle, visit our Phone Book
Pre-Retirement services offered through the Transition Office include:
• Coordinating and conducting periodic Pre-Retirement and Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) group briefings for all retiring Soldiers. Family members are invited to attend.
• Counseling Soldiers and Family members concerning their retirement rights, benefits, and privileges.
• Conducing one-on-one SBP counseling for all retiring Soldiers and their Family members.
• Conducting one-on-one Pre-retirement briefings.
• Assisting retiring Soldiers and their Family members with completion of the DD Form 2656 (Data for Payment of Retired Personnel).
• Processing the DD Form 2656 electronically to Department of Defense Finance and Accounting Services, Cleveland (DFAS-CL).
• Providing Combat Services Benefit (CSB) / REDUX retirement pay option counseling and processing of the CSB/REDUX pay option election form, DD Form 2839.
• Providing other services and information related to pre-retirement services, such as, retirement application processing, retirement orders and DD Form 214 processing, and final-out processing procedures.
Post-Retirement services offered by the Retirement Services Officer (RSO) include:
• Assisting retired Soldiers and Family members in obtaining: copies of lost documents (i.e., DD Form 214, retirement orders, and medical records); re-issuance of military awards; and issuance of military ID cards.
• Providing retired Soldiers and their Families with information and referrals on a myriad of other benefits/entitlements including Veterans Affairs (VA), TRICARE medical/dental; Social Security/Medicare benefits and others.
• Counseling and assisting survivors of retired Soldiers, and Soldiers who die on active duty regarding their SBP options and entitlements, and the proper processing of their SBP elections. This includes counseling on Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and its relationship to SBP.
• Publishing and mailing the retiree newsletter, at least annually.
• Conducting the annual Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD).
• Providing information and filing assistance for the "Annuities for Certain Military Surviving Spouses" - ACMSS, also known as "Forgotten Widows".
• Providing information and assistance to Soldiers, spouses, and former spouses regarding the Uniformed Services Former Spouse's Protection Act (USFSPA).
• Assisting and advising retired Soldiers in understanding and applying for Combat-Related Special Compensation.
• Providing information to retired Soldiers on Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP).
More information for personnel preparing for retirement and retirees and their Families can be found at the following sites. Keeping up-to-date can help retirees stay informed of changes affecting their benefits, entitlements, and eligibilities.